|Welcome to Oswego County, NY!
Experience the thrill of Charter Fishing on Lake Ontario or the beautiful Oneida Lake! Whether you’re with friends of family we
guarantee you’ll have a memorable and enjoyable experience!
If you’re looking to river fish for trophy salmon, trout & steelhead, Oswego County, NY has the world-famous Salmon River, the Oswego River and many
other Lake Ontario Tributaries. Few areas in the Northeast offer the quality and diversity of fishing found in Oswego County. From trolling on Lake
Ontario for trophy trout, salmon and walleyes to fly fishing for wild brook trout in a freestone stream tucked away in the wilderness of the Tug Hill Plateau,
Oswego County offers angling opportunities unmatched in New York State.
|Hunting in Oswego County is one of northern New York State’s best kept secrets.
Bountiful wildlife populations, including whitetail deer, turkey, waterfowl, grouse, snowshoe hare and other upland game provide fine hunting. Pheasant
hunting is also available in some stocked areas. Bow hunting for carp up to 40 lbs. Is popular, especially during the late spring spawning season.
Oswego County contains a wealth of public hunting land, roughly 40,000 acres.
For more information, visit our website at:
But wait, there is
•ATV’s & 4 Wheelers
•Canoeing, Kayaking &
•Cross County Skiing &
•Dog Sledding &
•Hiking & Biking Trails
•Parks, Forests & Nature
HISTORY OF OSWEGO
|Lake Ontario Tributary
Anglers Council (LOTAC)
|Oswego County Public Lands to Fish or Hunt On
Curtiss-Gale. 47 acres, wetland, birdwatching, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
This small area is adjacent to the Oswego River along County Route 57 about 1 mile
south of the Fulton City limits. Curtiss-Gale Wildlife Management Area Map
Deer Creek Marsh. 1,770 acres, upland, wetland, boat access, viewing tower, scenic
vistas, parking lot, birdwatching, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, fishing and
trapping. Take Route 81 to the Pulaski exit and proceed west on Route 13. Turn north
at the intersection of Route 13 and NYS Route 3 at Port Ontario about 3 miles west of
Pulaski. Proceed north on Route 3 and the WMA will be on your left, accessible by Kelly
Drive and Rainbow Shores Road. Deer Creek Marsh Wildlife Management Area Map
Happy Valley. 8,895 acres, upland, wetland, hiking trails, parking lot, birdwatching,
cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, fishing and trapping. This WMA is located in
eastern Oswego County with its northern boundary transected by US Route 104 and its
southern boundary by County Route 26. These routes are easily accessible off exit 34
of Interstate 81, east on Route 104 to the area. Happy Valley Wildlife Management Area
Little John. 7,9120 acres, upland, wetland, hiking trails, birdwatching, camping,
cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, fishing and trapping. This WMA is located
about 45 miles north of Syracuse and 25 miles south of Watertown. 81. Access to the
area is from exit 38 off Interstate 81 via County Route 15 east to County Route 17. Little
John Wildlife Management Area Map
Three Mile Bay/Big Bay . 3,495/120 acres, wetland, hiking trails, boat access, parking
lot, birdwatching, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, fishing and trapping. This
WMA is situated in southern Oswego County about 6 miles east of the Village of Central
Square and 2 miles west of the Village of Constantia. Access to the area is from NYS
Route 49 via Toad Harbor Road or Lower Road to Wheeler Road and West Road.
Three Mile Bay/Big Bay Wildlife Management Area Map
|A map of towns and cities located
in Oswego County, New York
Century 21 Galloway Realty
183 South 2nd Street
Great Lakes NY Real Estate
566 South 4th Street
Century 21 Leah's Signature
160 Edwards Road
Tug Hill Real Estate
4106 New York 31 #40
Re/Max Realty Plus
566 South 4th Street
2168 County Route 48
Oswego County Federation of
PO Box 135, Lycoming, NY 13093
Pathfinder Fish and Game Club
PO Box 194, Fulton, NY 13069
Phone: 315/593-7281, Fax: 315/593-7281
Sandy Pond Sportsman’s Association
3201 Co. Rte. 15, Pulaski, NY 13142
Contact: Richard LaCrosse, Jr.
[Richard.LaCross@oprhp.state.ny.us] (315) 343-4711
OSWEGO, NY - Area residents and visitors will have the opportunity to
witness both Rebel and British troops of the War for Independence at
Fort Ontario State Historic Site the weekend of June 13-14, 2009.
Throughout the weekend, there will be living history demonstrations,
marching and weapons drills, and camp life activities.
While Fort Ontario has a long and colorful past, the era of the
American Revolution is perhaps the least known. The first fort had been
built in 1755 by British and colonial forces during the French and
Indian War but was destroyed the following year by the French and their
native allies. Rebuilt in 1759, by General Thomas Gage, the fort played
an active role in the last years of the war which led up to the British
conquest of Canada.
After the French and Indian War the post was considered of little
strategic value and was abandoned before the Revolution. In July of
1775, the ruinous fort was the scene of a great council of 1400 Iroquois
warriors who listened to British leaders plead for help against the
American rebels, but only the Mohawks under their celebrated leader,
Joseph Brant, pledged their loyalty.
Again, in 1777, British, Loyalists, German Hessians, and Indians met at
Fort Ontario in preparation for their ill-fated attack on Fort Stanwix.
On their retreat from there they encamped at the fort for three weeks
before deciding to retire to Canada. So angered were the natives over
their losses on this campaign that they reportedly killed some of their
British and German allies.
A couple years after this, a raiding party of 30 Continentals and
Oneida Indians found that the fort was still abandoned and they burned
what they could in a massive blaze that was still smoldering two weeks
Finally, after repeated requests by their Indian allies, Major General
Frederick Haldimand ordered Fort Ontario to be repaired and garrisoned
early in 1782. General George Washington, concerned with the threat the
rebuilt fort posed, ordered Colonel Marinus Willett and 600 troops to
make a surprise assault. Deterred more by severe weather conditions
than enemy opposition, Willet called off the attack after being
discovered by a foraging detail. It was mid-winter and several men died
from exposure and 125 were hospitalized for severe frostbite. This is
considered by many historians to be the final campaign of the war. It
was not until 1796 that the British were finally forced to evacuate the
post, as a result of Jay’s Treaty.
Re-enactors at the fort will represent several regiments including the
British 21ST and 24th Regiment of Foot. On the rebel side, members of
the Continental Arms Collectors will portray the 1st New York Regiment,
and other units will attend the event as well. The 24th has a rich and
long history dating back to 1689. It served faithfully under General
John Burgoyne in the 1777 campaign that ended in disaster at Saratoga,
NY. Although they fought bravely in the finest traditions of the
British army they suffered heavy losses at the hands of their rebel
enemies, especially skilled marksmen under Colonel Daniel Morgan.
Interned as prisoners of war, they saw no further action in the war.
The 1st New York was formed at the outbreak of the war in 1775. They
served in the campaign against Canada and helped to capture Montreal but
failed at Quebec. The regiment served in many hard fought battles and
campaigns - around New York City, Saratoga, the campaign against the
Iroquois in 1779 and the victory at Yorktown in 1781. Members of the
Continental Arms Collectors interpretive unit will represent the 1st New
A special treat is in store for kids at the fort as Shari Crawford,
early American activities specialist and teacher, will present her 18th
Century Toys and Games program during public hours on Saturday and until
4 PM on Sunday. Some of the toys and games include stilts, trundling
hoops, two-balls, bat & trap, shinny, marbles, cups and balls, skittles,
and quoits. Crawford has conducted this and other programs for adults
and children such as Open Fire Cooking, Clothing and Laundry, and
English Country Dance at historic sites, schools, scout camps, and adult
day camps around New York. She has published articles on many aspects
of 18th century life (www.18thcenturytoysandgames.com).
Fort Ontario is one of six historic sites and 16 parks in the Central
Region administered by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation
and Historic Preservation, Carol Ash Commissioner. For more information
about NYS Parks visit the agency website at www.nysparks.com, or Fort
Ontario at www.fortontario.com. Fort Ontario State Historic Site (315)
343-4711 is located at the north end of East 4th Street off Route 104
East in the City of Oswego, New York.
Janet West Clerkin
Tourism and Public Information Coordinator